I was visiting a friend’s house the other day and noticed she had decorated beautiful Easter eggs. They were delicately adorned with swirls and beautiful colors that danced around each egg. I was intrigued. She explained to me how she used silk scarves to dye her eggs. Check out your local thrift store for some 100% silk scarves that you can use to cut up.
Here are the basic steps:
1) Prepare eggs by either “blowing out” the eggs. If you choose to keep the eggs intact, this works, too.
2) Cut silk to fit each egg. Tie silk with the ink side toward the egg, securing silk with rubber band.
3) Prepare pot for boiling. Add eggs & 3 tbsp. white vinegar.
4) Boil eggs for approximately 15 min on a steady heat.
5) Turn water off, let eggs set.
6) Drain water, remove eggs and silk.
7) If you want your eggs shiny, add some vegetable oil by rubbing on with a cotton ball.
Voila! Natural, beautiful & unique Easter eggs made that simple!